NEWS UPDATE! Amazon.com has this book on special offer right now (last checked July 2nd 2012) - you can get the paperback for just $8.69. Hurry as I'm sure this won't last!
For several years, the Linux community has ranked Ubuntu as the most popular Linux distribution, for good reason. This desktop operating system is easier to install and use than most Linux distributions, provides the most useful applications for everyday use and has a strong focus on security - perfect for people with little technical background. This easy-to-follow guide has everything you need to know to become a power user of Ubuntu 9.10 and above.
Ubuntu Up and Running takes you beyond the programs that appear the first time you boot up. You'll also learn about the wider world of great software for Linux systems, including where to get it and how to install it. Several distributions that package Ubuntu for various types of users are included on DVD. The book instructs you how install 9.10 and upgrade immediately to the current stable version of your chosen distribution.
- Get simple steps to install several Ubuntu editions, including Kubuntu, Xubuntu, and the Mythbuntu multimedia release
- Learn about the command line and how to configure this operating system
- Choose among three desktop environments (GNOME, KDE, and XFCE)
- Understand the file system and users, including file and folder permissions
- Network Ubuntu, connect to the Internet, and use web browsers and other tools
- Get an in-depth introduction to the OpenOffice.org business productivity suite
- Connect peripherals such as cameras and printers
- Learn how to use WINE to run Windows programs